AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More throwaway breds. Pics included
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 9/17/2014 10:46 (#4079024 - in reply to #4078842)
Subject: RE: More throwaway breds. Pics included

N FLA
I just read this from Walt Davis and thought that it completely described why Papaw is doing the right thing for him given his quantity, quality, and availability of feed resources. Papaw mentioned that he could raise more calves compared to a year round program. But I also suspect it would cost him more $ to raise those fewer calves because of sourcing alternative feeds in the time of year he destocks and his cheap feed becomes scarce.

I have to ask myself the same thing and have been working towards a hybrid type program. I try to buy cows that on paper can gross $3 per day. I think that is pretty consistent with selling a $1100 calf every 365 days. However if I drag around in our southern climate and it takes 5 months to rebreed then I'm on the losing end with a cow calf enterprise. Obviously a year that prices increase 26% in a year makes buy low sell high look super, but we can't plan on that and I think $3 per day margin is in the ballpark until you catch everyone sleeping at a sale. But that's not happening right now.

(IMG_20140917_100422_853-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20140917_100422_853-1.jpg (126KB - 76 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)