AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Independent Hog Operations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Livestock_ohio
Posted 9/16/2014 15:12 (#4077673)
Subject: Independent Hog Operations

Central Ohio
I have been sharpening my pencil on some ideas about raising pigs (I know that is easy to do with todays prices, and I know it will not always be so easy), and I have a few questions for the independent swine operators out there. If I am located in central Ohio, are there packing plants around the state or surrounding states that I will be able to contract finished pigs? What terms are out there for independent growers? In a world that is filled with integrators, it seems the cards are stacked against the independent farms (unless they are as large as the integrators).

Currently, I am working on building a herd of sows. I have facilities to house, farrow, and wean 16-20 sows. I expect to be up to that level within the next two years. I don't have the ton of equity to build grand facilities yet, so I am growing slowly in the single barn that I currently have available. Earlier I had hoped to get into the contract finishing so I could have them pay for my building then maybe start my own sow barn. After talking to the bank a little, that option is not viable. A lot of people on this board recommended owning my own sows rather than taking out a lot of debt and working for sh*t, so I hope those same people speak up with some words of wisdom.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)