AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

alfalfa test fourth cuttinh
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

gothay
Posted 9/16/2014 12:43 (#4077502 - in reply to #4077391)
Subject: RE: alfalfa test fourth cuttinh

central NM
Fertilize based on soil test and yield goal. Cut at 10% bloom or less. Maybe do a mid season tissue test. My opinion is that the RFV number is a very poor indicator of feed performance. It is based on estimates of intake and uses only fiber as inputs. Feedlot and dairy nutritionists DO NOT use RFV in formulating their rations. http://www.caes.uga.edu/commodities/fieldcrops/forages/events/SHC11...
This site explains the formula for RFV and RFQ. Last season I sent a dairy 600 tons of first cut hay that was ,according to the dairyman, was "perfect". Palatability was excellent, milk production rose significantly. RFV was 156. If the price was based on that number it would have been a huge discount to what the hay actually sold for. Any calculation that does not include TDN, Crude Protein, and net energies isn't fair to the producer. RFV is a way to beat down the price paid to the grower.JMO.

One very successful dairyman friend of mine says if the hay is soft in the bale, has a good green color and a fresh, clean smell and no weeds it'll make milk. Soft means it is not over mature,was baled with proper moisture. Color is obvious. Smell means not baled wet. He buys it that way and the nutritionist goes from there. Lots of trucker- middlemen try to buy hay on RFV points, beware of that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)