AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Portfolio changes?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

gmoney
Posted 9/15/2014 09:03 (#4075361 - in reply to #4073291)
Subject: RE: Portfolio changes?

SC Wisconsin
About 7-8 years ago, I completely went away from mutual funds to index funds. Today, I hold indexed international, domestic, REIT, and bond funds. I went to MBA school with a lot of fund managers, my epiphany was realizing that they weren't any smarter or better than I about investing. They were just better about "selling" their ideas and charging people for them. The other piece of my thought process was that he who consistantly earns the market average return will still retire with more money than 90% of the people out there.

When I did that I also changed my strategy from 100% stocks, to one where I slowly rachet up my fixed income exposure as I get older. I'm at 20% today, I'll be up to 30% when I hit your age.

I lost a friend that I sailed with to pacreatic cancer several years ago. He was one of those guys that worked till he was 70, then retired assuming he had another 20 years left in him. I wouldn't have disagreed with that assessment either - he was as skinny as a whip and fit. I think he enjoyed a year of retirement, then he was gone. He set up one of those care pages, where he could share a blog during treatment. There's two things he wrote during that process that will stick with me forever. The first was "retire early, because you never know..."

Edited by gmoney 9/15/2014 09:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)