AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

oliver 2255
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 9/11/2014 16:33 (#4069072 - in reply to #4068911)
Subject: RE: Oliver 2255

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
My Dad got a new one in 1974. Still have it.
Factory cab, the 3150 engine, 23.1x34 rubber.

Troubles:
The three speed power shift went out. For some reason a new one was put it. I do not know why the old one was not rebuilt.

It seemed like the other area farmer who got them all had trouble with the engine. Thinking the valves.
We never did.

But did have a engine go out. Fall of 76 while plowing with it, started to use oil, bad.
Cause was the air cleaner system.
There is a decal on them saying "Do not clean the element unless the light comes on"
That was probably to keep farmers from blowing holes with their air hoses.

But you were supposed to put a new element in every year.
The sensor came unscrewed from the intake pipe. So it would not warn if the element was plugged.
Also let dirty air in thru that little 1/4" NPT hole.
The element was very dirty.

But from Cat a remanufactured short block. The total bill, parts and labor was just under $3000-
After the first field use and no power, also got hot. A service person from the Cat dealer come and did a couple things, I thing on the injection pump.
It didn't get hot any more and had lots of power, far more than when new.
No more engine problems.

Now that it is 40 years old the insides of the cab are all gone. Pretty hard on the ears. I felt it was quiet when new.

Despite the noise, I fall in love with it anytime I do some heavy work with it. It just runs.
I have never been in a tractor that will go at low engine speed under load and pick up like it will. Just push the throttle lever forward.

Now I use it to pull a 600+ wagon. Pulls it out of the field very good. Once on the road put it in road gear and go.
The last tillage work it has done was back in 2007, I think. It just plays with my stuff.
And I have three other tractors that tested more HP at Nebraska than the 2255 did.

It is real good on a plow. I still have the White model 588 six bottom 20" plow. That outfit will plow.

Really don't think the design was anything to brag about. It has bull gears, not very big, most of the reduction was at the outboard planetaries.

As stated before the cab was OK when new, now not very good. One thing I never liked about the cab - The two side windows are in the doors. And hinged at the rear. If you open them you get engine noise big time.

The hydraulic system is closed center PC, flow as good as anything in it's day.
It will run a hydraulic sprayer pump better than my Deere 4630. And the Deere closed center PC system was supposed to be the best.

Very good cold weather starting.

Three fuel tanks are a pain to fill. Move the tractor or have a very long hose.
Also nice to have a short ladder for the two on the sides of the cab above the tires.
And the little tanks drain first.

It drives, rides, steers, etc very good.

It was the last new tractor my Oliver dealer uncle sold without AC. I sure wished it had it many times.

The only pic I have in this putor is on the Brent Grain Train.

(PF-5.JPG)

(DadO-12.JPG)

(6-a.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PF-5.JPG (123KB - 739 downloads)
Attachments DadO-12.JPG (167KB - 769 downloads)
Attachments 6-a.JPG (146KB - 714 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)