AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So how have the rent negotiations went?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

obie_iaffa
Posted 9/7/2014 22:39 (#4061778 - in reply to #4060809)
Subject: RE: So how have the rent negotiations went?

NE Iowa
Had 7 of these conversations the last 3 weeks on leases that were up for renewal. Most of which were all farms that we are paying fair market value to above for and managed to get 10-15% reduction in rent for this upcoming year on about half of them. I gave them all a proposal of a flex lease that would give them the same rent they had last year if we get $4.80 cash corn or better. 2 of them told me that their is no way they can afford to lower the rent as their costs of living has went up every year. One liked the benefits of a flex lease and went that route, we gave up one piece of dirt and haven't finished negotiations on a couple others yet. We only rent one piece from a farm manager and this upcoming year would be the second year of a 5 year lease and he called to voluntarily drop the rent 12%. (This rent was a fair rent that is workable to start with too) His reasoning was he knows that the operator needs to be able to turn a profit as well or the farm will likely get mined of lime and P&K and that isn't the result they are after in the long run.
I've actually experienced better luck negotiating with owners that own a farm as an investment as they understand their investments make 10% one year, 5% one year, 25% one year and maybe go backwards a year. The crowd that's tough to crack are those that depend on the farm for their sole source of income and have used the last 5 years of rent annual rent increases and bonus payments to up their standard of living and didn't view it as a windfall for when times may not be as rosy. It will be interesting to say the least how this all shakes out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)