AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Self financing poll below
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

pknoeber
Posted 9/7/2014 13:54 (#4060808 - in reply to #4060650)
Subject: RE: It sounds to me like sour grapes, I for one

SW KS, near Dodge City
Ben, I think I have a handle on what you went through by some of your posts... Here's the thing, even though it may have been a tough financial position, there was still a "core" operation, it took your hard work and different skill set to put it back on the right path. In ag, that's a lot different than starting from nothing. It doesn't discount what you've done a single bit though. You have done some very good things, and I think you've probably done very well for yourself. One of my good friends is about our age also, started at the same time, got some breaks because of his hard work and the good job he does, and now has a NW that's closer to 8 digits than 6.

If you're truly starting from nothing, then grain farming isn't where you want to start. I had a guy telling me a story about one of the guys he knows, started out as a feedyard cowboy and leveraged everything he could ever find to leverage, and now has 120K head on feed. There are no guarantees that he won't implode, b/c the leverage can cut both ways, but just think of what he's got to be worth to even margin that!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)