AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

blu...a quick look at 1974 - 2014 corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Clay SEIA
Posted 9/6/2014 22:25 (#4059874 - in reply to #4059760)
Subject: RE: re...reponses...thanks!

I very much enjoyed what you did there, and have been thinking about it some today.  It seems to me there are a handful of agricultural commodities, corn being probably the paramount one, that have experienced a really unique set of circumstances since the WWII era.  You have the rapid perfecting (OK, still improving, but unprecedented progress compared to the 5,000 years prior) of mechanization, the wide and fast acceptance of things like nitrogen fertilizer, herbicides, and hybrid seed.  Then you have a political and economic landscape which didn't exist before the Industrial Age which builds a demand base far different from anything known before.  Maybe parallels could be drawn to the oil/coal industries, textiles, metals?  Could a person generate charts like that for something that was trading back in the Age of Sail when global markets were in their infancy, but information moved at the speed of a horse?

That's a bit rambling, I am very much intrigued by the history- but just pondering how to interpret the last 40-odd years of corn markets, or 100-200 years of industrial markets, in relation to human behavior and cycles in all of recorded history.  The simple fact that you are thinking about these things puts you ahead of 97% of the population.

(deep-thoughts-by-jack-handey-screen-grab (1).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments deep-thoughts-by-jack-handey-screen-grab (1).png (37KB - 27 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)