AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

acceptable grain loss in corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 9/1/2006 19:49 (#40520 - in reply to #40333)
Subject: My 2 cents

We ran red rotors from 78 until last year so we've got a little experience with them, that and 50 cents will get you coffee. Like other people said first check to see where the loss is coming from.

If you're only running a 6 row head in 125 bu corn one problem is you can't keep it full unless you're running 7 or 8 mph in the field. If you can't keep a rotor full it will slobber some kernels out the back. Even the best set up machine will slobber some coming in and going out on the end rows. The soloution to this is to set the travel vanes to a retarded position to slow down the speed of the crop through the rotor. Not an easy job and not fun, I probably wouldn't want to do it for just 140 acres because if you go back to beans or anthing else you won't want them retarted.

You didn't mention where your concaves were set or I didn't see it. One thing that is common if it is shelling easy is to set them too wide. Broken cob is a prime example of that. If they are too wide and especially if they are not full the crop tends to tumble in side the rotor instead of traveling along and rolling like it should. I'd say keep the concave setting at 2 or less. Most of the cobs should be whole out the back. You've got it running slow that's fine. The best way to keep cob out is not to break it in the first place. As for the fan turn it up, unless you're got some light test weight corn you cannot blow corn out with the standard fan on a 2100 or 2300 machine. Can't speak about the new one's there are none in this area.

I also didn't see if you are running the small wire or the large wire concaves. Small wire you will have trouble getting corn through. Large wire should handle it, but we found we pulled the back half of the front set, all of the middle and rear concave. Unless we had really tough threshing beans we often ran beans the same way. Only thing we couldn't run that way was wheat. It just put too much trash on the sieve.

Hope some of this helps,
Ray
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)