AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Cloud
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Posted 8/26/2014 08:26 (#4039182 - in reply to #4039112)
Subject: RE: Sat is being ironic in a sarcastic way.

Death comes to us all. Life's but a walking shadow
The fact is with this new sophisticated computerized equipment JD needs to be able to diagnose it, debug it and update it from afar. They and you can't afford to wait for a technician to travel to you location. Furthermore there aren't enough highly trained technicians available. A big farm not far away from me couldn't plant for four days in the best planting window due to a computer failure, At three hundred acres a day lost time he was very disappointed and he's one big farmer who doesn't take disappointment well. Another neighbor bought a new New Holland baler which he traded after one year because he couldn't bale hay unless the technician was in the field to keep it going. Fortunately he didn't trade his older baler and baled most of his hay with it.
On the other hand this "connectivity" certainly allow these companies access to unprecedented levels of information that will most certainly be abused. Both planting and harvesting progress won't be a weekly guess anymore. They will know by the hour what gets planted or harvested and how much. And since this information is certainly worth a great deal of money, somebody will figure out how to make money out of it or as we say "monetize it". It is inevitable.
I haven't looked at my GPS monitor documentation in some time but I'm sure that somewhere during setup I checked a box labeled "I agree" in order to use the software and gave up any right to privacy. If you want to test your idea just send JD (or any other company) a privacy agreement to sign.
I bet they don't sign it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)