AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

acceptable grain loss in corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 8/31/2006 22:56 (#40344 - in reply to #40333)
Subject: Re: acceptable grain loss in corn?

You might try slowing your rotor down, we normally run under 300 rpm & have been under 250 at times. Also try upping your fan speed unless your corn's t.w. is low, we generally run between 1150 & 1200 rpm. We seldom run our shoe that open but if you're not getting docked for FM I would leave it alone. I use to be more particular how the sample in the grain tank looked but after seeing what others bring into the elevator I said the heck with it & throw a few cobs in for good measure. When going to the bin I try to get it as clean as possible.

As far as your losses, it's one the high side but for the moisture of the corn & most likely your stalks are not in the best of condition that may be as good as you can do. Aslso in a drought year sometimes the kernals are not as attached to the cob as well as in a normal year. Like plowboy said, for 140 acres I sure wouldn't stop picking.

Concerning the concave wires, we run with all ours in & have for probably 10 years. I use to pull them for corn & put them in for soybeans but we switch back & forth so much I quit doing it. We haul a lot of corn to a processor & they are stiklers on stress cracks & we never have a problem. They want the s.c under 7 & most times our corn is at 1-2 s.c.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)