AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Water heater fixable?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 8/21/2014 16:26 (#4030663 - in reply to #4029932)
Subject: RE: Water heater fixable?

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Our coop controls both house and barn water heater for $10.00 credit per month. Has been a good deal except during very cold weather and laundry day. The 50 gallon electric heater is cold after 3 wash loads and will be without power for as much as 4 hours. Have to delay more wash loads until they turn the power back on. Only happens maybe 2 times per year.

The right water heater can be very long lived. The 50 gallon electric heater in our dairy barn ( Says Sears & Roebuck model 150 on the ID tag), was originally installed new in my grandmothers new house built in 1957. In later years when she was living there alone, she used so little water,(and or the anode was making hydrogen sulfide) that the hot water got smelly. Their fix was to replace the big heater with a 20 gallon electric, and the old heater went in our dairy barn in the early 70's. I am sure the efficiency is terrible, but the room it is in is electrically heated, so little is lost in cold weather. That old heater has a pair of external heating element bands wrapped around the tank. Absolutely no problems with anything on that heater, electrical or tank, in 57 years. I have no idea if the tank is lined or how thick the steel. Our water is not very kind to metal, although newer immersed element glass lined water heater in the house does not start leaking until around 20 years.

Edited by Jon Hagen 8/21/2014 16:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)