AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best Choice for Canola - 9600 or 9660STS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 6/23/2008 00:47 (#402874 - in reply to #402433)
Subject: RE: Best Choice for Canola - 9600 or 9660STS

Colby, Kansas
Our canola didn't get too much height to it, maybe knee / thigh high. I wonder if we topdressed too late and it stunted it. After looking at its height today, I plan on direct cut with a platform and had though about leaving strips as Brett suggested to try stripper harvest on. We tried harvesting some that way for kicks and giggles 2 years ago, I have heard of some others trying it as well.

I understand everybody's concerns about direct cutting, however we had several rules about Canola when we started this project: 1. It had to work no-till, 2. It had to be direct harvested (preferably with a stripper header). The main reason were anti swather is that we don't own one or a draper or a pickup header, the other is the extra trip. Canola and wheat will be harvested at about the same time for us, thus any additional time spent in the field (swathing) is unacceptable.

Jess, this canola is up on the state line south of Lebanon, NE. We had some good looking camilina this year at the station here in Tribune until it was harvested early by the white combine. I often think that camilina may be a better fit for us out west.

Thank you all for the comments, truly appreciated
Lucas

Edited by LHaag 6/23/2008 00:48

(IMG_1600.JPG)

(IMG_1598.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1600.JPG (57KB - 132 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1598.JPG (74KB - 137 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)