AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wind Farms In Ontario , Don't Get Sucked In
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Varment
Posted 8/31/2006 17:07 (#40271)
Subject: Wind Farms In Ontario , Don't Get Sucked In

Ontario's West Coast , Huron County
A short while back there was a thread about wind farms . I went back through the contract offers I got and they started at $2500.00 per turbine all the way to $11750.00 per turbine . Most contracts were for 21 years with an automatic ( if the company wanted ) 21 year renewal . Some left the farmer holding the bag if the company defaulted on any payments ( taxes , construction company costs , bankruptcy ) Oh yeah and some even could force power of sale ( to them ) if you didn't pay the taxes . Before the recent standard offer contract , the payback on a 1.8 MW tower was 7.75 years . Cost of getting power out to the grid made payback longer , but then that is their problem . All would only remove the base to 4 ft below ground level if they took them down . They all had a clause that said they would work with you about location but only for 30 days and if the change suited them , other wise they put it where they wanted it to go . They also have the right to put a sub station any where they want to . Restrictions on future buildings ( height & location ) . Not a one would sign that they would guarantee the value of your farm after they put up the turbines . They all will tell you they are increasing the value of your farm , But are they ?? Had an oil company from Alberta who had a rep that I was less than happy with . Asked him to get off the property and not to return , Ever ! Almost had to help him into his truck . Wish I had still had my old dog for this guy . She would have made it happen at the blink of an eye . Funny how when a dog takes to disliking some one they are correct in their thinking . At a meeting in Toronto it was said to go out and sign up as many farms as you could because these dumb farmers are desperate and don't have a clue what they have and what its worth . Guy sure swallowed hard when the lady at the table during lunch commented on how she resented being called a dumb farmer . Needless to say her husband did not have to speak.

Just make sure the deal you sign is the one that you want and is good for both . Farming is tough enough these days , let a lone get screwed by some one who will make money from your farm !

Joe
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)