AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Complete Cutterbar Replacement Kits
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/6/2014 11:43 (#4004746 - in reply to #4004471)
Subject: Great Tips

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Great advice. I talked to my old friend this morning and told him I had ordered the kit. Before I could ask he volunteered to help. I told him our working conditions should be much better than they were 48 years ago with my air conditioned shop. He has a battery powered impact and I have air impacts.

Thanks for the breakdown on the install. It makes sense to put the pieces on somewhat loose and then tighten them later. One thing I've always wondered about was how to adjust the knife register. On old sickle mowers there was an adjustment in the length of the pitman arm. I don't see how the register can be adjusted with the wobble box permanently mounted. Mine isn't in perfect register but very close.

Pretty clever idea about leaving the knife back extra long if possible. Your method should be easier than flipping every section to even out the wear. I suspect part of my ragged cutting is due the fact that the edges of the guards have probably rounded off through use. Squaring them up with a grinder might have helped. I have heard of people squaring up the edge of the auger in the head so that it grabs better.

I will print out your advice above and review it when we start which will probably be late next week. I was planning on doing it on the cart in the shop but it would probably be better to put it on the combine. It would be a little tight to get the 930F through the 30' shop door if it is on the combine. We will probably have to stand the heat and do the work on the apron outside the shop.

Edited by tedbear 8/6/2014 12:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)