AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rant about McDonalds if you must, but......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tigger
Posted 7/25/2014 22:57 (#3986140 - in reply to #3983526)
Subject: RE: And then you get the guy ...

Iowa
It's not garbage. That's over the top on your part as is much of what you are saying here. It is part of my healthy lifestyle despite whatever you say. I don't have to spin anything. Just calling a spade a spade. Several doctors have run lots of tests on me and are pleased with the results. I am in good health despite a family history that would suggest I'd likely have had some issues or death by now, and I've probably had more fast food than any of them, probably 75% of my meals. It is possible to eat at these places without consuming a lot of fat if you watch what you are doing. The food does have nutritional value despite what you say. The egg, meat, and milk products can have lots of good protein and many other micro nutrients. I also get some nutrients from the fruit juice and salads. It's entirely possible to eat responsibly at these places if you watch what you do and supplement your needs from other sources to balance as necessary.

Another part of the equation that I mentioned in my first post that I believe has been an important difference maker in my life is how what you take in needs to be balanced with what you burn. I've been physically active all my life and have taken my health more seriously as I've gotten older. From what you say about empty calories and salt, I take it you don't push the physical exercise like I do. What I do is more demanding than the top level of the cardiac stress test and is normally sustained of one to two hours at a time (stress test was not enough to get my heart rate to stay at or above target level). That alone burns over 5000 calories a week. What you see as empty calories, I see as fuel. It's fuel that gets the fire burning hot enough to maximize the fat burn rate for extended periods (target heart rate for fat burn found with measurements taken during a VO2 max test). That's all somewhat extreme compared to folks who consider walking to be exercise, but it gets results for me: a strong heart beat, low blood pressure, low body fat, and low LDL. My most recent blood test just came back with all measures well within acceptable parameters. As for the salt, it is especially necessary if you are doing activity significant enough to result in a lot of sweat. They put sodium in Gatorade for a reason. If you really sweat a lot and only drink water, it could all end badly.

If you eat like I do, you need to burn calories like I do. The professor I linked above had a more moderate exercise program, so he matched it with less total consumption and still had good results from eating fast food. I'm not saying I'll live healthy another day. You don't know that you will either (but at least we are both trying). I'm not saying fast food is best for you or anyone else, but it's not garbage with little or no nutritional value, and it can be part of a healthy life style for a lot of people. I will concede that a lot of people don't have a healthy lifestyle, but simply avoiding fast food will not solve the real issues for most of them.

I've tried to be civil in this discussion and would appreciate it if you would do the same.

Edited by tigger 7/26/2014 00:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)