AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reasons to use metric
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 7/22/2014 14:55 (#3980580 - in reply to #3980544)
Subject: RE: Reasons to use metric

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

brud - 7/22/2014 13:21 Metrics would be really easy to use ONLY if you woke up tomorrow and everything standard was gone and metrics was all you had to work with. I did a college paper 40 years ago and my "research" said the US would be completely switched over in less thatn 5 years. Well 35 years have gone by and we are no closer to metrics than when I did my paper!

I was teaching science 40 years ago and was told we would switch to metric.  We concentrated on teaching that system.  The only thing that bothered anyone was conversion.  If the whole world used metric, there would be no conversion, and it is an easier system if you don't have to go back and forth between different systems of measurement.  Almost all the science papers I read today are in metric, so in one way we have converted.

We (team teaching) had one student that did a project on metric timekeeping.  He took a clock apart and made a face divided equally in tens, making a twenty hour day.  He used the same prefixes for the divisions as used by length, weight, and volume, and the whole thing made sense to most all the students.  We all knew that time measurement would not be changed, but it was a good example of how any system of measurement could be changed.

My frustration is having metric and English fasteners used on the same machine.  Any machine should be standard, either metric or English fastners.  Yes I have a full set of metric and English tools of all kinds, but I expect to be able to know what system I am using to repair something.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)