AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

C-IH 955 Planter Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 7/8/2014 22:42 (#3958640 - in reply to #3958544)
Subject: RE: C-IH 955 Planter Questions

KY
I don't buy the picket-fence spacing being as critical as people say. If it truly was as important as what the self-called experts say, then why do we all plant different populations, even within the same field sometimes. Each time you move population, your spacing is different, so what is the occasional 1/2 inch going to hurt? I digress. Anyhow, I am bordered by 7000 and 7200 Deere's and a couple Kinzes as well. Be willing to bet it'd be hard to tell any of them from another. If I guy has an 80,000 planter, sets the sprockets and goes to the field and never checks a thing, he can do no better than a guy with a cheap planter who takes the time to set it and check it periodically. That being said, a cyclo, when given the proper attention, can plant with excellent results in corn. As far as I've ever seen, you'll find no better in no-till situations, beans or corn, right out of the box. I bought coulters, planted two acres and took them off and sold them the following year. No need for them. A 955 drum has the best fix built in, the spaces between the seed holes are raised, which made the skips drop by large numbers. I personally think it would take a very long time to pay to maintain another machine vs. what you could make by keeping it for corn. That's just my .02 worth anyhow. I realize they won't do what electric drive, adjust on the fly 6-digit machines will do, but I also realize that those planters might not be pushing the yield as high as those who are selling that stuff would like you to believe.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)