AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

backhoe vrs excavator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bleedred
Posted 6/11/2014 21:07 (#3914312 - in reply to #3913333)
Subject: RE: backhoe vrs excavator

East Central Ia
We went with the larger midi excavator. We have a Komatsu PC78 which is about 19k lbs.

I love it and would not get a backhoe for the simple reason that we have a tractor loader and skid steer.

Also they are much nicer tearing trees out and working in ackward areas.

I just replaced three tile outlets that dump into a creek and I dont think I could have done it with a back hoe. An excavator is more stable in rough conditions and I love how you can pick up a big bunch of trees and track around with them. Also its great for the situations where you are moving a lot... you can track sideways right down a fenceline no jockeying for position.

But the bigger ones are a pain to move.

I can move mine a couple miles with a heavy gooseneck but I dont like to. I have several guys around me that trade small favors back and forth all the time. I can usually get one of them to move it for me on their way by if needed.

But ideally I would rather have two! And 200 size machine for the big stuff and a 12k lbs machine that I could haul on my skid steer trailer for tiling.

But I dont think I would give up any reach from what I have... if you can move stuff far enough away its very annoying! And digging starter holes for tile its nice to have plenty of room and not have move around.

(2013-06-03 09.07.13.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2013-06-03 09.07.13.jpg (158KB - 33 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)