AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Similar spec new Chevy, Dodge or Ford, any real reason to pick one brand over the others?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 6/10/2014 09:22 (#3911422 - in reply to #3910835)
Subject: RE: Similar spec new Chevy, Dodge or Ford, any real reason to pick one brand over the others?

Coldwater, Michigan
I must drive my trucks too long! When I ran the fertilizer plants years ago we had Ford's and Chevy's. Not bad trucks, ran as good as anything. Years later I bought a Dodge, asked it to do terrible things, it didn't complain as much as it probably should.

Moved to Michigan in 1989 to run a Terra fertilizer plant. They had Ford and Chevy's. I liked the Ford better, but nothing wrong with the Chevy's. Later I bought a 1996 GMC 1/2 ton with 4.3 V6. I hated that truck the whole time I drove it. My middle Daughter wanted to take it with her to North Carolina when she moved there. The speed-o was over 200,000 at the time and I don't remember how many miles it had 3 years later when I refused to let her drive it back to Coldwater. She traded cars before returning to Coldwater.

I hated that truck, but it was a good one! Needed a new tranny at about 75,000 miles but over-all not that bad of truck. Did I say I hated it?

When Erica took the truck to North Carolina I bought a heavy 3/4 ton 2002 Dodge with the Cummins. First year I owned it I drove 53,000 miles. Then I changed jobs and I still own it today 12 years later. It now has 190,000 miles on it, hasn't needed a new transmission. It did need the lift pump and Fuel pump at about 100,000 (under warrantee). I recently put new HD shocks, Brakes for the 2nd time I have owned it, and Ball joints for the first time. I replaced the ball joints because the tires were beginning to cut the tread. 3rd pair of Michelin's didn't want to ruin them. Should have done it 100,000 miles ago. Almost like driving a new truck. Rust is starting to show below the doors and there are minor spots in the Right front fender. This thing has had loads on and behind it of 15,000 to 18,000 any number of times going down the highway.

Did anybody say I love my Dodge?

Really, if you properly maintain a PU they will likely be a dependable truck. There will always be exceptions, but I have abused most of my trucks in some way or another, and they keep on ticking. I have only screwed up engines in 2 vehicles in my life: My first Chrysler mini van blew the engine at about 272,000 miles. That sucker pulled loads up to 14,000# on a trailer behind it. Remember when Ford and GM said a front wheel drive mini van wouldn't pull anything heavy? That's why you needed to buy their rear wheel drive mini vans. See how long that lasted?

I was disappointed that Chrysler hadn't made the minivan any better than 272,000 miles! The next engine I blew was because of my stupidity. For some reason I had checked the water level and left the cap of. Sometime later(no idea how much later) I didn't believe the gauges when I started the car and the car read hot pretty quick. I had just started the car a short time earlier, I was 180+ miles from home, I knew there as a Chrysler dealer just down the road, decided to drive there and have them check it out. They got to check it out alright! After towing it in, they rebuilt the engine.

Only one vehicle I have ever owned, other than the GMC truck has ever needed a transmission. I feel maintenance is the key.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)