AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

manure lesson learned
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 5/22/2014 12:57 (#3882643 - in reply to #3882633)
Subject: RE: manure lesson learned

southern MN
Jim runs his critters a little different than most.

He has some non traditional ideas, that might go back a few generations actually, and might have some merit for others in similar situations. His way would not be for everyone.

It has been very interesting for me to watch his frequent updates and explanations and pictures of his operation over the last, oh, 3 years? And how his thinking, and operation has progressed.

It certainly is not a few pot loads of calves brought in, prescribed mixes fed, and pot loads of cattle hauled out.

And some take great joy in poo pooing him for that. Perhaps its just a sarcastic sense of humor, but it comes out a little heavy sometimes...

Myself, I really enjoy seeing what he is trying, what works, and what doesn't work.

I think I can learn a lot from what he tries. No I'm not going to follow exactly what he does. But I can apply this or that to my totally different situation and be better for it.

I really appreciate people who are willing to show up here and share their small successes and more important their small failures, and how they plan to improve things.

I don't comment very much on Jim's threads because I just enjoy seeing them. Well written, nicely illustrated, and they tell a story.

I hope Jim continues to do so despite some of the negative comments he gets.

As Jim built his hay building, several of us commented on the cattle will change their pattern and hang out at the building now.... I did too.

But we all have to take the info we get, and apply it, and learn to make our situation fit. And Jim is doing so.

Good for him.

Garvo pours concrete by the mile, and does feeder cattle that way. I enjoy his many pictures and comments and thoughts as well.

I think Jim and Garvo couldn't be more far apart in how they raise cattle....

But I'm sure glad I can learn a bit - and I have - from both of them.

Would love to sit down some winter day with some beverages with the 2 of them. That would be a fun day.

I think your question is a good one and nicely put, if you see anything negative in my message is is not directed at you at all. ;)

Paul

Edited by paul the original 5/22/2014 12:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)