AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Found these arrowheads while walking corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 5/16/2014 12:48 (#3873653 - in reply to #3873289)
Subject: RE: Found these arrowheads while walking corn

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

OntarioCanuck - 5/16/2014 07:33 Used to have a mostly round granite stone that just seemed to fit my hand although i could not determine if it was just natural or had been used for something, found when we were reseeding the front lawn.

We used to find quite a few artifacts when we didn't have cabs on tractors, high speed equipment reduced what we find now.

The round stones mentioned in the quote above sounds to me like net weights.  According to what I have heard, the Indians chose well rounded stones to weave into nets used to throw over game, usually used by younger braves not yet skilled with an arrow.

Interesting someone mentioned granite in this thread, BIL found a hatchet head that had a lot of green on it, someone took it to a professor at the University of Illinois who said the stone it was made from was only located around Michigan or Wisconsin.  He said it proved there was a lot of trading going on between tribes a long distance away.  He also said the green was caused because of it being placed on the chest of the Brave when buried, so he could use it in the great hunting ground.  No bones were found near the artifact, BIL just found it in his garden.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)