AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Popup starter in warm soils does it pay $$$??!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bigdirt
Posted 5/9/2014 07:57 (#3860420 - in reply to #3860231)
Subject: RE: Popup starter in warm soils does it pay $$$??!!!

North Central Indiana
I want to see side by side yield results over time before I try something. I've made big root balls, painted stripes of pretty green corn in test plots, and did tissue samples till I was sick of cutting stalks over the past 10 years. I have yet to find a single product that pays consistently over time. I've tried the high dollar and the cheap ones. Lots of guys show me pictures or say the product has helped them, but very few every do yield tests on their farms or really know how yield they have picked up. I've learned over time that salesman, "progressive farmers", and the industry in general pushes us to over complicate things sometimes. I remember using biologicals several years ago and being laughed at by fertilizer companies who now sell them. Even Monsanto has entered the biological market of all companies!!! Most of them are a waste of money out there and I am disappointed with them.
My point is this, we all want to continually do better at what we do and make more money. Life is a journey and you learn a lot along the way. If we we are entering an era of tighter margins, we need good information, not pretty pictures. I raise sheep. The sheep that make me the most money are the most efficient ones. Even though they don't have the best conformation or look the way a textbook might say they should, the best ones are the ones that make the most from a little. They aren't the ones that catch your eye but they make the most from the environment they're placed in. If I baby them and give them more grain, they get thicker and look more like a healthier meatier sheep. But they are not healthier if they look meatier, and now they are not as profitable because I have juiced them up.
Plants are the same way. There is a happy medium to everything I've learned. Anything can be over thought and over done. Sometimes we just write the check because it's what we've always done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)