AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Water infiltration notill vs chisel plowed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

KRM
Posted 5/8/2014 12:00 (#3859150 - in reply to #3858844)
Subject: RE: Water infiltration notill vs chisel plowed?

NC Kansas
Cornstalks comments remind of a story I heard where an operation was tying no-till for the first time and had some side by side fields. After a rain the tilled ground was mucky and sloppy and they were making ruts and the no-tilled ground was firm and they were able to travel. A positive mindset toward no-till would make you think...hmm good soil structure will allow me to travel in wetter conditions. Their negative mindset was that the no-till ground "obviously" didn't hold near as much moisture as the tilled ground...therefor no-till was bad for water infiltration...therefore no-till was bad.

Now I'm in Kansas where warming the soil is not a problem, and we need to catch every drop or rain that falls. You are in a vastly different area/climate. I will speak to this, some of the nicest planting conditions we will have for corn is planting into wheat stubble, that had a cover crop that was grazed in the fall by our cow herd. I think your concerns are valid on will the ground dry out with all that residue...but also the cover crop will use some moisture up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)