AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Row cleaner adjustment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/7/2014 22:41 (#3858439 - in reply to #3858157)
Subject: RE: Row cleaner adjustment - Screw Adjust Row Cleaner Startup Procedure recommendation

Driftless SW Wisconsin

You can follow Rupert's advice.

However, Dawn screw adjust row cleaners, and Martin and Yetter pin adjust row cleaners, have been around for many years with considerable success.

Here is how I suggest finding an initial setting for screw adjust row cleaners:

1) Screw them all the way up so the row cleaners are not touching the ground at all. A socket on a speed wrench or driver drill (not an impact!) with a clutch  (so you don't twist your wrist) and maybe an extension, works well with our screw adjustment.

2) with your planter about half or 2/3 full of seed and the planting tractor, start into a typical section of a typical field, not the headlands. Stop with the planter in the ground.

3) check toolbar height is approx 20" (20-21") measured in line with the seed from the nominal soil surface to the underside of the 7x7 planter toolbar frame. Do whatever your owners manual suggests to get to 20". The center section of CCS planters usually require the lift wheel axle bolts to be in the center of three holes, not the upper hole where JD ships them. Forget about leveling the parallel links !!!!

4) once the toolbar height is set at 20" all across the planter (center section and wings), again pull ahead 50 ft or so with the row units ibn the ground and the planting tractor. Stop with the planter in the ground. Walk out to the end of the toolbar maybe 30 ft from the planter, so the 7x7 tube appears as a square.

5) level the planter. looking at the offside/up marker from the end of the frame, raise or lower the tow point (or 3 point upper link) until the inner section of the up marker appear vertical to your eye, not tipped either towards or away from the planter tractor cab. Forget a bubble level in this case, just use you eye as I describe. Forget leveling the parallel links!!!! On large DB planters some folks level the planter by adding a donut on the tow point lift cylinder.  Using a red tractor on a green planter it is common to have to flip the drawbar to level the planter for some models. Parallel links can be level and the whole planter screwed up. Parallel links are meant to flex. Set the toolbar height and level, forget the parallel links!!!

6) once the planter toolbar height is set at 20" and the planter is leveled by usually raising the tow point as per the planter manual or lower links on a planter pulled from the lower links, again pull ahead in a typical field section and stop leaving the planter in the ground.

NOW and ONLY NOW SET THE ROW CLEANERS!   Now that the planter itself is set correctly, go across the planter and by hand lower each screw adjust spinning the knob until you just feel some light resistance from the soil. Lock the cap at that point.  There are dots on the front of each Dawn row screw adjust row cleaner stem as guide, but I suggest going by feel for an initial setting. This produces an acceptable level of row cleaning /minimal soil movement for most row crop field situations. There are times when it does pay to take another turn down but start with just feeling some light resistance as described.

Once the Trashwheels are set by this procedure, you should be able to come up with a predictable number of turns up or down when moving from say no till to worked ground or bean stubble to wheat or corn stubble.  Some customers keep a little note card in the cab on how many turns up or down between crop or soil conditions.

I have seen people plant hundreds of acres of corn with a planter that is totally not set correctly, toolbar height nor leveled. The crop emergence showed it too.  And naturally the row cleaners were to blame...

The above procedure can usually be done in 20-30 minutes. If it takes longer to change the toolbar height or level that is time very well spent. This is the lowest cost and highest ROI time you will likely spend in a crop year.

Please use this method.  Any further questions, my email is in my profile. I will answer as I am able but I'll try.

Thank you for your row cleaner business.  From what I saw in the field today, screw adjust fixed row cleaners may serve very well for many years into the future.  More on that later.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 5/7/2014 22:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)