AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grain transfer auger from vertical unload.. pic included
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 5/3/2014 18:46 (#3851937 - in reply to #3851872)
Subject: RE: grain transfer auger from vertical unload.. pic included

Morris, IL
By transferring i believe Brian is talked about from the wet bin to the shivers drying bin. Not out of the shivers bin, that wouldn't make any sense at all, you have to keep that drying front working right. I really worry about moisture control when your gone at work 12 hours, get back home to see it was dumping 18% corn instead of 16% or just as bad dumping 14% corn.

I think i would extend that auger down to ground level but doesn't that bin have the center auger already in place? I thought a true shivers has a vertical auger in middle of bin and then auger coming to that. That's why you always see them with auger coming out of the roof about half way up.

I'm just asking or pointing this out so don't take it personal. Your going to have a 36' bin and the shivers for wet storage, and a 36' for dry storage. So basically your going to have way more wet storage then dry storage correct? I know you want to be able to really combine a lot at once but i'd much rather be able to fill that bin with dry corn, maybe be able to segregate one field into one bin and another into the other. I mean what good is that much wet storage without a place to dump it all. What do you and your family currently do with wet corn, are you familiar with drying corn?

I guess i don't see what the huge problem is dumping a full batch in the shivers and letting it burn away. That is what we always did with stirator bins, half of a bin if it was over 20% by much. Fill it up and let it burn. Sure it wasn't the fastest but sure beat setting up auger and moving equipment twice. Took longer but didn't seem to use much more fuel. That said i've never used a shivers, i've used stirator and CF.

There is guy in my area that has setup just like your talking minus the wet bin. I'm thinking he has 30' shivers and a 36' dry bin. Maybe 7 ring drying bin and 9 ring storage. He doesn't farm the whole country but seems to do OK with it. I know i've seen his corn and seems to grind it up some but not too bad, could just be combine for all i know.

By the way, reguardless of how you go. I would not put bins that close together. Spread things out little bit, I know it's hard to see why but once they come off paper and in dirt you will understand. We have 10'+ between any foundations.

Edited by NEILFarmer 5/4/2014 08:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)