AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is FieldScripts $10/acre?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Joe@RFDG
Posted 4/29/2014 17:42 (#3844261 - in reply to #3843832)
Subject: RE: Is FieldScripts $10/acre?

Glenwood, Mn

jocoshar23 - 4/29/2014 13:17 Ok, so you could vary the population on your outside rows and could in theory capture more yield. But you cannot measure that yield unless you harvest 1 row at a time. It should make you more money, but you wont' be able to verify it without doing some extensive 1 row combining. I stand corrected on 0 point because you brought a point up that I wasn't thinking about and it could make you more money. However, if you have a large planter and want to change the planter during different management zones it would only make sense if you changed your populations based on increments of the size of corn head you are using. If using a 8 row head with a 24 row planter, it should only vary by the 8 rows on a section. My opinion. How much yield do you think you could pick up by planting your outside rows around terraces or other oddly shaped pieces at a higher population?

I realize there can be too much data BUT I will point out our area is extremely variable.... .  I can be doing 220+ corn and drop to 0 in less than 50 foot span.  I have mine custom harvested w/yield monitor but a quick walk in the field is the real proof.  No ears = 0 yield.  How would you write a Rx for that?  I don't know but all one has to do is look at google maps and you can see the sand pockets plain as day.

I just "live with it" for now.  I have variable rate this year across 16 rows but what happens when that sand pocket you KNOW is there is one half of the planter width across?  It sure would be nice to manage those zones individually.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)