AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

West end of the Oklahoma panhandle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

westernks
Posted 4/29/2014 14:14 (#3843936 - in reply to #3843859)
Subject: It's hard to understand

It would be hard if not impossible for someone from an area other than one like southwest Kansas to understand why the dirt blows and why you have to "strip" or chisel your ground to slow down the wind erosion, it would be like us telling you how to farm your ground when it floods. A lot of no-till that absolutely hasn't been touched in years is blowing away. What happens is when you don't get enough rain to grow anything for several years your residue will just disappear from wind or just degradation, and all you have left is flat dirt with nothing on the soil's surface. Next with the continued dryness the soil just starts breaking down into small particles and some of mine turns into what looks like baby powder, water makes compaction without it you eventually have the opposite effect. When you rip the soil you hope to bring up chunky clods to bring back texture to the soil. Over time the clods break down from the wind and just dryness and once they crumble back to powder you start over. We have no trees to slow down any wind, in the last two weeks we have had 13 days of wind over 35 mph with most of those days gusting over 50 mph. I have to sweep the 3/4 inch rocks off of my concrete that blew from my driveway each time the wind goes down. All we need is to add heat and you've got hell.

Edited by westernks 4/29/2014 14:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)