AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

100 lb nitrogen minimum
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jocoshar23
Posted 4/29/2014 13:11 (#3843815 - in reply to #3843426)
Subject: RE: 100 lb nitrogen minimum

SE IA
bad farmer - 4/29/2014 08:30

If you want 200 lbs of n available in the summer for your growing crop how much do want available for your growing soil the rest of the year??????????

I get paid on bushels of crop that I produce. I want my Nitrogen there for my crop, not for my soil. I don't get paid on having a healthy soil unless it produces more bushels. I want very little available N for my soil the rest of the year where it can leach away or volitalize. Nitrogen is a nutrient that is used by photosynthetic plants, I'm going to feed my plants. And try to keep as efficient as I can so that I can be as profitable as possible. If I can squeeze an extra 10 bushels out of my Nitrogen, just by changing timing, sources, or other biological practices (cover crops, manure, OM, etc) I am going to do it.

and then finally has anyone tried it??????? as stated in another post dont call it stupid till you try it in a plot. I think i am the only person on here who is trying this based on posts, where are all the RBTI thinkers at. dont you guys farm? this was practiced 60 yrs ago and then why cant anyone figure it out.

I am not sure how this would look but I think I understand your concept. I would only try it with continous corn where I know we can use the Nitrogen. If you did a monthly application of N from September-Nov. and then aagin from March-september again. It would be interesting how it would work. However, the risk for losing excess nutrients is very high especially with a mobile nutrient like Nitrate. You need to develop a form of Nitrogen that will never convert to Nitrate.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)