AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

lost and found
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pknoeber
Posted 4/29/2014 12:45 (#3843766 - in reply to #3843049)
Subject: RE: lost and found

SW KS, near Dodge City
I don't think you get what they're facing. At all. I think you THINK you get it, but you don't. I don't care what kind of wonderful things you throw at it, when native grass is blowing, which should theoretically be in about as good a shape as you can get, organic matter wise, and soil aggregate wise, then there's a point that you just have to face that mother nature is controlling that. Using your logic, why can't you go out into the Utah and Nevada deserts and turn them into productive farms? Obviously, you have the answers, and I bet you could buy all that non-irrigated land awfully cheap, so you'd be set in no time.

No rain = Reduced/no vegetation. Remove vegetation and residue, add 40 mph winds, and the dirt/sand is going to blow. Can there be some theoreticals that control it? Maybe. But when you're happy to get a 1.5-2% organic matter test, well, that's the situation they're in. Right now it's not about the theory of how to make wonderful soils, it's about survival, and being able to afford to farm another year... A year that will hopefully give them enough rain to grow residue and begin the process of repairing/improving it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)