AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn residue moving in strip till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/29/2014 10:31 (#3843538 - in reply to #3842390)
Subject: RE: corn residue moving in strip till - an idea for NE CoC

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Corn residue management starts in the fall with the combine.

Nebraska is a different situation from most of the corn belt. I assume your corn is mostly irrigated?

Irrigated NE varieties get very tall, ears held up high and lots of fodder. Folks tend to use chopping corn heads to try to get rid of it. As mentioned above chopped corn residue in a dry, windy climate area tends to blow.

Harvesting with a knife roll corn head run as high as possible but still get all the ears will probably leave 2+ ft tall stubs with short pieces on the ground between the rows. This will catch moisture/snow and reduce residue blowing but the problem is that in a dry climate and tough NE varieties that stub standing in the air doesn't break down much over the winter.

I personally don't know of anyone in this NE irrigated corn using an Aerway but it does seem that a system starting with a knife roll cornhead run high, spread your P & K in the fall, then run an Aerway with the rows at maybe a slight gang angle will kink and pin the stalks down in contact with the soil but not dislodge most of the roots. Changing the gang angle may toss enough soil to hold and break down the stalk pieces between the rows.

The field will look rough in the fall but in this case that is good. The fact stalks are still attached but kinked down with a bit of soil tossed on top should help breakdown over the winter and yet still catch moisture and reduce blowing. The pock marked 8" deep holes left by the Aerway should also catch moisture and break up some harvest compaction.

Then come in between last years rows with a coulter type strip till rig WITH ROW CLEANERS in the spring any time from a couple weeks to a couple hours ahead of the planter. The planter must also have row cleaners, fixed or Gfx, NOT unit mounted pushed type floating.

I think this system will work in a NE system but just hasn't made it that far west yet. It does work in C IL high yielding corn on corn.

Just an idea.

Jim at Dawn

edit to add: I am not a fan of stover collection in corn. Too many valuable nutrients and organic matter in that stover to remove.

Edited by Jim 4/29/2014 10:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)