AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn residue moving in strip till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Cards Fan
Posted 4/29/2014 08:05 (#3843221 - in reply to #3842390)
Subject: RE: corn residue moving in strip till

WC IL
This is exactly why I run an aerway and not a vertical tillage machine. If you have a chopping head or if you size the cornstalks with a vertical tillage machine you will make it much easier for the residue to blow. I have one neighbor that ran a vertical tillage tool after harvest before he strip tilled and his strips were very hard to see as they were covered with residue. The wind blew 70mph very shortly after he stripped it and residue was blown all over. Its no different than another mile down the road where a field was vertically tilled (maybe twice) and all of that residue ended up in the ditch across the road. That field was not vertically tilled but if it would have been then I'm sure he would never have seen his strips.

I'm not in Nebraska but I have seen residue around here blow when it is sized and fluffed on top of the ground. The aerway will not size residue. In fact, I'm not sure I would use the aerway if it didn't have a rolling basket (or two actually) behind it as I like the fact that it rolls the residue flat onto the ground.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)