AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Using acid /preservative on hay
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bob1968
Posted 4/29/2014 07:54 (#3843196 - in reply to #3842013)
Subject: RE: Using acid /preservative on hay

I keep some on hand as insurance just in case I don't get all the drying weather the weatherman promised. That said, I probably use it on 25-50% of my hay depending on the year. I prefer not to use it due to cost but I won't hesitate if conditions aren't quite right. Most of the hay I sell is horse hay and I've never had anyone complain. It does have an odor when freshly baled but I keep hay in my barn until it cures out so that isn't an issue. I've been growing teff for those who want grass hay and find preservative is a requirement to keep the teff from heating and becoming dusty. I also think it can be useful on alfalfa because you can bale damper hay and save more leaves. It's a tool, not a miracle. I baled some 30% alfalfa last fall at the end of the season with the maximum rate of preservative and it molded but my beef cattle ate it like candy so all wasn't lost. If I was only doing something like orchardgrass or fescue which dry well in a decent climate I don't think I'd make the investment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)