AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

100 lb nitrogen minimum
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 4/28/2014 20:39 (#3842395 - in reply to #3842115)
Subject: RE: 100 lb nitrogen minimum

southern MN
You have an interesting delivery, I believe it distracts from the discussion you want to have.

Anyhow, I've always actually added info when I reply to your musings, perhaps we are more alike than different and just don't quite get each other.

I farm some high organic soils, and it isn't all everything you think it might be..... Back in the 1930s the next patch over caught on fire and the soil burned and smoldered over 16 months according to dad. He and I have tried to beat the snot out of that stuff to make it farmable.... But then for most folks, building the soil up one point of OM would certainly be desirable, I understand that. I'm not sure you'd be happy with 10% either tho.....

I don't think N stockpiles well and don't see the value of it just 'being there'. It is too fragile in my opinion.

I like to stockpile sturdy things, and spoon feed fragile things.

If you are using it to break down last years stalks or feeding a cover crop to recycle then the N is there doing something. That's good. If you are building your OM from 2 to 4 that is great and will hold and have more natural N, good.

If you are using manure and have some slow release manure and biologicals going on creating N as we go hey that is great!

Your question originally sounds like we should put on an extra 120lbs of NH3 and have a bank of volatile N sitting in the ground across all of farm land.... And that sounds just crazy. ;)

Myself, I see more value in stabilizing the N that is there and in spoon feeding smaller amounts of N more often to the crop. I'm not doing that, but I think it has a lot of positives and a direction to peruse.

I would rather build up my P and K to healthy and good levels in my soil, and spoon feed N as used. I don't think I want to store excess N in my wet soils. But if you have something different in mind than what I am seeing, please explain yourself. I'm here on this site to learn, not argue, and don't mean anything bad at all.

Paul

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)