AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need some advice on notilling vs tilling.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 4/27/2014 12:06 (#3838958 - in reply to #3838766)
Subject: RE: Need some advice on notilling vs tilling.

central - east central Minnesota -

Wicket - 4/27/2014 10:23 I have a 12 row with dawn cleaners and in furrow fert. This will be my first time attempting any kind of notill. I want to plant soys in between last years corn rows but I am worried that there is to much trash, should this be a concern or not? Some sandy loam and some clay. I also have a couple farms I am planting corn in for the second year, should I work this ground or just plant it. In MN so the ground temps are cooler. I could chop the stalks before planting also. Thanks

In my inexperienced no-tilling corn on corn - at this point, I believe in tillage. At some point, it'll be strip - till, but for now, it's as much tillage to make the ground as close to black as possible. This would be for clays / loamy clays. In sandy loams, I wouldn't be too concerned.

For soybeans - no problem. As stated, don't chop the stalks - leave them as long as possible (like in the old days of ear picking. those pickers left the residue on the stalk). As stated, set the row cleaners to push the residue aside and plant away. Soybeans are very forgiving and still get top yields. They'll practically come up laying on top the ground.

Maybe do some experimenting this first year with corn on corn ?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)