AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Repair costs. Personal pickup vs. commercial truck?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

seedcleaner
Posted 4/24/2014 22:26 (#3834939 - in reply to #3834899)
Subject: RE: Repair costs. Personal pickup vs. commercial truck?

Mid-Missouri
I don't have numbers, but I suspect per miles, and especially per work accomplished, the semi would be substantially cheaper. This would be for sure true if you compared an older semi, something like mid ninety's or prior to your much newer Dodge. Parts would for sure be cheaper. Labor can be hit or miss, but on an older semi, I would likely do the labor vs possibly the dealer doing the labor on a 6.7 Dodge.

I also have a hunch that an issue or two you are having with your Dodge is due to it being "newer" (few miles) and the bugs are still being worked out of it. I feel the next 24,000 miles might have less expense (think second year old combine vs a new one with glitches). This is no excuse though for something like a water pump or egr to quit at 24k. I can also see similar issues with a 24k new semi.

I guess what I am getting at is any vehicle, pickup or semi, built within the last 6 years will be expensive to work on, and with minimal miles such as your truck, a few issues will happen. Even with only 24k, a 6 year old semi will be expensive to work on at the dealer. A 200,000 mile semi or 50,000 mile pickup will probably be very reliable, and the older you go, typically, the less the repair would cost. If you are going to be driving a relatively new, more expensive vehicle, expect to pay the more expensive repairs, whether its a semi or pickup.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)