AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Orchard Tree Removal - firewood
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 4/22/2014 13:17 (#3830245 - in reply to #3830086)
Subject: RE: Orchard Tree Removal - firewood

Isn't it a big waste to cut the biggest trees for firewood or smoking instead of lumber? Letting the logs cure under rain and sun for a couple years would easily pay for the processing of the whole orchard, and you should thin out the biggest trees first in any case. I'd even try to find a woodworker to use some of that wood, someone posted on NAT a picture of their family dinner table made with their own pecan lumber, it was a thing of beauty, and sturdy enough for several generations.

I personally would prefer to cut, process and sell the wood and chips myself, and hire someone only to remove the stumps. Over time, you might very well find a very lucrative way or niche to dispose of the wood and chips. Pecan trees are precious resources, you should never make a neutral deal like "you remove it all for free and keep all the wood in exchange", it should always been a positive balance on your side to reflect the investment on these trees. I don't see much difference with just giving your friend a signed blank check that he can fill to any amount. At corporate levels, if it's not marketed at its exact value, your friend favoritism deal is called fraud and heavily prosecuted. Your friend should be able to make a fair amount of profit on the deal, or the expectation of a fair amount, that is his motivation to clean up the orchard, it's the "unnamed amount" part I am not comfortable with.

Since I hate bad analogies, here's one: "Hey, I need to plant green beans behind the spring potatoes. Would you be able to dig out the potatoes and plant the beans for me? You can keep all the potatoes you dig." ;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)