AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bedding over last years corn stubble [ pictures]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 4/22/2014 08:04 (#3829929 - in reply to #3829584)
Subject: RE: Bedding over last years corn stubble [ pictures]

East Central Arkansas

I don't like the situation I have got myself into with the weather being like it has so far this Spring. The ground really needs the residue from the corn to hopefully help begin to build some organic matter back in these soils. Many corn fields are burned off in the fall around here. By not disking or burning after harvest I also had a thick volunteer corn crop that grew until frost. I didn't disk because I wanted to go back on the old rows. I did some on corn ground last year and decided I needed to do something to knock the old stubble down before bedding. Back during the winter I drug a old doall over the fields and it knocked the old stubble down pretty good but put most of the residue in the row middles. With all the rain we have had the middles don't dry good keeping me out of the field. If it wasn't for the furrow irrigation I would probably plant these fields notill but I know I need a good clean furrow for irrigation. These fields have had two high priced burn down appilcations. I wasn't planning on the second one but with the weather holding me up from field work and the product not working as well as expected I did a second spray on everything. In the last several years past I have been using Dicamba, FirstShot and Power Max but changed to Sharpen and Power Max this year. This mix just didn't control the Marestail very good. If I had known that field work would have been delayed as long as it was 2 oz of Sharpen instead of 1 oz might have helped but I wonder If there might have still been Marestail problem.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)