AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Detached garage or built on
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

hf213
Posted 4/21/2014 20:09 (#3829252 - in reply to #3828952)
Subject: RE: Detached garage or built on

The only mistake I made was not building a 3 door garage. I made mine a 2 1/2 if you will, so there is plenty of room to open the doors. In your situation I think it would help resale if built correctly.
With my wife and kids, I think I would have been castrated if it wasn't attached, yes you may have some fumes, proper venting helps, we also do not run the vehicles any more than necessary.
Do you have any hobbies that you would work on in the garage, thats where the heat comes in, if insulated well, it does not take much heat for one.
Do you want to store any L& G equipment or tools ? ATV's ?
What about little kids toys, bikes, pedal tractor, wagons, sports equip ?
A garage can make a nice mechanical room for water heater, electrical box, water softner, etc, but can be a hinderence as well, just something to plan out in your situation.
In out situation, our dog sleeps out in the garage, she has a cozy little box for winter, and we have a doggy door in one of the walkin entrances for her.
Also would you wash your car / truck in the garage, you may have to plan on drains then, also nice when wanting to thaw vehicles out in winter.
What about family parties ?, we have had many birthday's , graduations, mothers and fathers day's and get togethers in the garage, we feel it keeps more mess and dirt out of the house and easier cleanup, especially for spills and whatnots,
And now that I think about it my trash cans, and recycle bins are out there too.
Its a great place for an extra freezer or fridge too.
Some think it is more of a fire hazard....yeah it can be...but I had been on our VFD for over 20 plus years...I have seen detatched garages catch fire and it was still close enough to get the house going too...so that did not have much merit in my decision for our house...

Just some things to think about to help with YOUR decision...but I put my vote in for attached.

Rog
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)