AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soil tests
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 4/21/2014 14:04 (#3828837 - in reply to #3828635)
Subject: RE: soil tests

Little River, TX

Shame on Someone( Midwest Labs) for using Bray for phosphorus rather than Olsen ( Sodium bicarbonate )
It is unfortunate that we poor unwashed dirt stompers have to tell the highly educated Soils Experts their job but it is a fact of life.
Next time you send off a soil sample if your pH stays in the 7.7 range it darn well should use Olsen Chemistry to estimate the available phsophates. GROWL

With a 30 CEC Penn state suggest looking for 330 ppm K
Now in the Midwest's Agronomy Handbook table 8 page 47 suggests 339 to 274 ppm K. Brad Law is right, though still lite. Try 500 lbs of 0-0-60 or 400 lbs of 0-0-50.
With all that Magnesium you might want 500 lbs of 0-0-50. That or use ammonium sulfate liberally in for your nitrogen.
All that sulfur in the Sulfate of Potassium, plus the good amount of calcium, you have will form plenty of Gypsum to help leach out some of that Mg.
The same chart will suggest 3770 ppm Ca for your ideal touted by Sweet William Albrecht.  Yes you have plenty of calcium.  If that is native calcium you are blessed.

The Next go of soil sampling not only ask for Olsen chemistry, but also ask for a Free Lime analysis. Then figure you want 17 ppm P. Add 17 lbs/A P205 for each ppm P needed Plus an additional 10 lbs P2O5 for each percent of free Lime ( calcium carbonate )

Yes do a tissue analysis for all the above plus judge the amount of S and micronutrients.

In case anyone asks you can use less Nitrogen if you have enough potash.

Too bad Soil Life is no longer active on these pages. He is the most aggressive when it comes to fertility management.
In fact you might wish to engage Soil Life as a Consultant. That man is the best.

Back to your alfalfa. I hope you were pulling hay samples for each cutting from each field of alfalfa.
Take a look at their mineral percentages. That will give you a very good feel for all your essential elements.
I use Midwest tissue analysis as my hay analysis. Just multiply the P N % by 6.25 for CP%. I also spot check for Moly and cobalt, an extra $30 each. With heavy potash applications I pay for them to also check for chlorine.
If you ask for Mo & Co send off a freezer bag full of your hay. Any less they may not be able to find it.  Co is in the 0.1 ppm range of lower.

I shoot for 20% CP, 30% ADF & 40% NDF alfalfa. The OLD dairy hay standard.  I do not get the ADF or NDF simply becouse none of my customers are interested.

Edited to show CP = N% X 6.25  the P was a mistake.

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 4/22/2014 09:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)