AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is fall ripped/chiseled ground rougher than normal?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

supertiquer
Posted 4/20/2014 10:23 (#3826682 - in reply to #3826614)
Subject: RE: Is fall ripped/chiseled ground rougher than normal?

central, Il.
1586 - 4/20/2014 09:49

supertiquer - 4/20/2014 08:28

Yep, we have the same thing here in central Ill.. HARD and chunky. Lots of guys complaining about it. Gumbo seems to be working the best. I set the row cleaners down and put more down pressure on the planter. That helped but we are going to need a rain. Too early to get the cultimucher out just yet. I and everyone else around me thought with the ground being froze over 3 feet deep this winter, it would have broken apart like ashes. Not the case.
This was lightly disced bean stubble last fall and I can't really say it was wet when I did that then.

What I thought...it would work up like a garden after all the frost??? Put spring NH3 on for years and always went right in on chiseled ground and this is the worst beating I have ever taken. It can look smooth with just rootballs and the rootballs about throw you out of the seat. Just like there is such a hard top layer it won't give. Thank God we are going to be using a rolling basket because everything that we worked without has been lumps, lumps, lumps.... Dry or damp

And I don't have a rolling basket. I wish I did this year!!! CIH 4300 fc with a 3 bar coil tine AND a fuerst behind it. Still won't break up. I might try the disc next. I think it was 2010 I had this same thing early in the spring and the disc worked much better. You say dry or damp? I thought maybe if we got an inch of warm soft rain it might help. Maybe not?
Alot of it might have to do with all the wind we have had too. That usually makes er good and hard and chunky!!!!!

Edited by supertiquer 4/20/2014 10:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)