AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is fall ripped/chiseled ground rougher than normal?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Posted 4/20/2014 09:49 (#3826614 - in reply to #3826564)
Subject: RE: Is fall ripped/chiseled ground rougher than normal?

supertiquer - 4/20/2014 08:28

Yep, we have the same thing here in central Ill.. HARD and chunky. Lots of guys complaining about it. Gumbo seems to be working the best. I set the row cleaners down and put more down pressure on the planter. That helped but we are going to need a rain. Too early to get the cultimucher out just yet. I and everyone else around me thought with the ground being froze over 3 feet deep this winter, it would have broken apart like ashes. Not the case.
This was lightly disced bean stubble last fall and I can't really say it was wet when I did that then.

What I thought...it would work up like a garden after all the frost??? Put spring NH3 on for years and always went right in on chiseled ground and this is the worst beating I have ever taken. It can look smooth with just rootballs and the rootballs about throw you out of the seat. Just like there is such a hard top layer it won't give. Thank God we are going to be using a rolling basket because everything that we worked without has been lumps, lumps, lumps.... Dry or damp
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)