AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I want plant oats for seed for seed in se Iowa at about May 15....what would you expect for yield?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 4/19/2014 08:26 (#3824769 - in reply to #3824033)
Subject: sounds like the consensus is--- fewer weeds if plant in black dirt now???

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

I was hoping to get maybe two flushes of weeds put under if I waited until about the May 15.  We have already used the Phoenix on the ground to start the warming.

I had a disaster last year on a few acres------- I tried fall-planting cereal rye, for the purpose of letting it go to seed, to be combined for seed last summer.

Weeds took over that rye, to the point I could not give it away for hay.  We turned it over and put late beans into that ground.

So.....sounds like the group says.......... blacken the dirt now, plant now......and probably the weed pressure will be no worse than if I wait for maybe another flush.............

......AND I just read where some guys are running a tine harrow thru oats planted for seed to help control the weeds.........but there were no details.

I am assuming that if a person drilled the oats, say 7 inches (vs broadcast), and waited until it firmly rooted...........then tine-harrowed it with the rows.........that such might knock out a few more small, just emerging, weeds at least in those vacant strips???

Opinions will be appreciated.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)