AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Follow-up question regarding gas line coming through our farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 4/17/2014 19:17 (#3822268 - in reply to #3821907)
Subject: RE: Follow-up question regarding gas line coming through our farm

northeastern Ohio
Steve,
The landowner group seems to work well when dealing with the oil/gas lease, but not so well with pipelines. The main reason for this is because the oil/gas company NEEDS everyone for the leasing, but only need a few for the pipeline. Most people know that they will not benefit from joining a pipeline group and therefore are less likely to work very hard at it or pay into the group costs.

I would draw up an easement and present it to the ROW agent when he arrived. Tell him that it is your land and this is the ONLY easement that you will sign. He will have a whole list of reasons on why their company cannot agree. He will ask you about 100 times what he can change in HIS agreement to get you to sign it. If you give him a list of 10 items, he will play like he is on your side and willing to ask the company. But when he comes back, they only changed 1 item and expect you to have a pen in your hand ready to sign.... When you ask him about the other 9 items, he plays dumb. They try to wear you down one item at a time. He will say: how about we word it like this... and maybe the company will agree if you change this..... And while he is doing this with you, he is doing the same thing with your neighbor. Whoever caves in first or for the least will get the pipeline.... and all the headaches.

After dealing with these guys for the last few years, I have finally came to the conclusion that there are a LOT of people who are hungrier than I am. And so now I simply tell the ROW agent: go see my neighbor and "help" them.

In conclusion: I would just prepare to represent my own interests. I've tried to help neighbors with these agreements but it seems to fall on deaf ears most of the time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)