AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My son has a lot to Learn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SDfarmer75
Posted 4/16/2014 20:27 (#3820621 - in reply to #3820588)
Subject: RE: Good post SDfarmer75

Hereford Guy - 4/16/2014 20:15

SDfarmer75 - 4/16/2014 05:17

I am guessing that maybe some of you guys that are berating "dad" are maybe missing his point. How many operations were built by grampa's and dad's using livestock, rarely any hired help, and living a frugal lifestyle. Now, most juniors don't know what it's like to farrow sows on floor crates, calve cows in the spring (currently just got done with calving and tending to older calves in a snowstorm here), feed out cattle, make hay, etc. Now it seems most juniors think they "need" every gadget, they want to trade a perfectly good piece of equipment "because it will make us more efficient, blah, blah, blah), they don't want anything to do with livestock, and they want to recreate often (spend money). I'm not pointing any fingers, but I would guess most of the dad's on here didn't do it the way junior wants to, and to me, the OP makes my point. To go from almost nothing to owning a 1000 acres or so means something to me. Btw, I'm only 39 and its JMO

I personally love the guys that bash Hereford cows. Yes I'm partial,but how many of them would have a ranch that Dad and Grandpa paid for with those miserable Herefords? Makes me laugh. I've milked cows,raised hogs on dirt,cow/calf herd,even had a few baa baa's over the years and it's hard work. One of the best farmers I know,a Nebraskan,told me once if not for his Grandad rolling the dice with all the chips down so many times they would never have what they have and then his Dad and uncle after that. Yes they have expanded and done well. Newer hog facilities,an efficient feedlot,nice cow herd. He is also mid 50's now and has earned his perks. I know when he started out they milked in an old stanchion barn,fed cattle,cow/calf herd,farrow to finish hog operation,baled hay all summer in small squares and picked ear corn all fall. Dead on that most of the younger generation have no idea what it's like. I'm 37 so I see it all the time. They were born with the silver spoon in their mouth.

I'm too lazy to milk cows and I don't care for sheep. But I've done the rest!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)