AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ed Winkle, others, Soybean Inoculant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 4/16/2014 11:04 (#3819699 - in reply to #3819420)
Subject: RE: Ed Winkle, others, Soybean Inoculant

Little River, TX
Austin they are all good.

I believe the best is the pretreated and coated seed. but the Soy Bean companies do not think so. Really because the pretreated and coated seed the inoculant has about a 6 month use by date.

The coating should have some lime, and some Molybdenum (maybe) along with the fungicide and some other trace elements.

The alfalfa seed companies found that they could charge extra for precoating plus actually have some extra seed to sell out of a 50 lb sack of seed. We ended up buying dirt at seed prices and having to pay a surcharge to boot.
Maybe 10 years ago I had go pay extra for untreated seed. That was the last time I got seed from that Local Source. ( Local being a 5 hour drive, one way.!)

Now if your soil is naturally above a 7 pH you may not NEED the bacteria, for sure will not benefit from a lime coating.
Plus have grown beans in the not too distant past, you may not NEED treatments.

Just note that the bacteria for SB's is different than most of the clovers, peas, vetches, and for alfalfa.

The carrier makes little difference. We have used Coke Soda as a sticker, plain water, and patented stickers all with good results.

We have a lot of, just incase, uses for any and all treatments. Some locations also need all the help they can get from additives.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)