AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exapta Valion installation(pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

00rooster
Posted 4/14/2014 19:26 (#3816084)
Subject: Exapta Valion installation(pics)

I decided to Exapta's Valion seed tube guards a try since my old JD ones were wore out. They look pretty good, but with all the engineering that went into the development and production they kind of punted the installation of the rivet for the front hole. The "Exapta approved" method is to hold a large hammer on the rivet head and use a smaller hammer to form the rivet down....Am I the only one perplexed by needing to be swinging a hammer while you awkwardly hold another hammer on the other side...all the while there is a VERY brittle piece of cast in the vicinity that could instantly be turned to scrap with one errant swing?

Time for a better solution Exapta. Ideally you should either include with the kit or offer as an addition a C-clamp rivet tool to form the rivet with an impact wrench. Until then I did find a few things in my toolbox that is going to suffice.

This is a battery terminal tool that I'm using to hold the rivet into place:

Then I used an air hammer to form the rivet:

Then I remembered an old tool that I haven't used in years...how many of you have one of these laying around:

This actually worked pretty good, and will be using this for the remainder of the rivets

These may not be "Approved" methods but they worked for me, and there was far less risk of damage than swinging that hammer around.

Edited by 00rooster 4/14/2014 19:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)