AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to do about underground gas line may come through my farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 4/14/2014 10:37 (#3815181 - in reply to #3814007)
Subject: RE: What to do about underground gas line may come through my farm

I've had an 8" gas line through the frontage of my farm for more than ten years. They dug a 6'x6' trench during a very wet spring. The next farm south accumulated so much water in the trench the pipe had to be filled with water to get it to sink. They backfilled and packed that mud. On my farm working the soil wet creates concrete. That strip back filled and packed alongside with machinery was so hard it rejected my moldboard plow. A few years later I had a chisel plow pulled through it. That cut slots but didn't break up the ground. Last year another gas line went down the road ditch without my permission or even an official notice other than a request to use my field to park machinery and pipe. That road ditch is a lot different, but sinking rapidly in spots.

You being the guru of notill and cover crops don't want them ON you land, you will loose all your soil conditioning in their work strip and it will take decades to build it back along with two feet of compost over the line to get it to grow crops like you are accustomed.

You don't want them, period.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)