AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dave Hula world corn yeild record
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pknoeber
Posted 4/10/2014 12:46 (#3807903 - in reply to #3807519)
Subject: RE: Not to rain on anyone's parade...

SW KS, near Dodge City
But I'm going to say it. If a company resorts to referencing "their holiness" on a website or anywhere else, that sends up huge flags. It means they're selling an ideal more than a product, b/c the product they're selling isn't worth what you're paying. Call me cynical, but the biggest screwings ever are by those that preach about how holy they are.

I'm not saying their products might not work, but I would be a little skeptical over time. I would say it's pretty intuitive that introducing a lot of microbes into the soil will bring about benefits. However, generally any time microbes are referenced, it's in relation to their ability/work on breaking down residue and releasing/making available tied up nutrients. So, over the long haul, are these products really helping or are they simply accelerating the release of those bound nutrients, and after using them for 5-6 years, you suddenly find out that you've released decades of stored nutrients, and now you have an uphill battle replacing them? We know exactly what comes off of a field in grain yield (past history) and we know pretty close what that grain contains in the form of nutrients, so the only way to shortcut that is to have the plant procuring more of those nutrients from the atmosphere (soybeans fixing N in their root nodules for example). So, if you're not adding any additional nutrients, and you're removing more nutrients, that says that over time, your soil levels will be depleting. Maybe these magical microbes make the plant more efficient users of those nutrients, but I'm in the cynics camp on this one.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)