AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertilizer hose lengths on planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/6/2014 19:21 (#3801013 - in reply to #3800952)
Subject: RE: Fertilizer hose lengths on planter

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I think from a theoretical point of view, the length of the hoses should be the same even with orifices. The total resistance to each row would be the resistance of the orifice plus the resistance of the hose.

Let's take an extreme example. Suppose a row out of the Wilger was plumbed with 1/4" hose went about 5 feet to the orifice. Suppose the next went about 1 mile to the orifice. With that great a distance I think most would agree that the flow out of the distant row would be less. This is of course, an unrealistic example.

With the shorter distances actually involved in a planter, if the hose size is adequate, I think that the theoretical difference between a close row and a distant row is pretty minor.

That being said I noticed on our 24 row 1770NT that the installers at L&D have made the runs between the Wilgers and the check tip on the parallel arms the same length. On this planter there are 12 Wilgers in a bank on each side. The greatest length is from the Wilger group to row 11 on one side and row 14 on the other. This is due to the way that the planter folds.

It appears that they did those rows first and made the hose just long enough to reach. The hoses to the other rows are this length and doubled back or coiled to "use up" the excess.

Edited by tedbear 4/8/2014 07:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)